General Information about Asphalt Releasing Agents
In 1999 the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency began to regulate the use of materials containing VOCs, including diesel fuel. Diesel presents risks to human health and the environment because of its VOC content.
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) refers to organic chemical compounds which have significant vapor pressures and which can affect the environment and human health. VOCs are numerous, varied, and ubiquitous. Although VOCs include both man-made and naturally occurring chemical compounds, it is the anthropogenic VOCs that are regulated, especially for indoors where concentrations can be highest. VOCs are typically not acutely toxic but have chronic effects. Because the concentrations are usually low and the symptoms slow to develop, analysis of VOCs and their effects is a demanding area.
More About G-Slide
G-SLIDE Asphalt Release Agent is a completely biodegradable lubricant. The non-hazardous, water soluble mixable agent is designed to provide clean rapid and easy separation of bituminous (asphalt) materials from beds of dump trucks and haul trucks. The soy based lubricant when applied to the surface of the truck beds provides the following performances:
- Once applied to the truck bed, a micro-thin film spreads out across the truck bed. This film creates a negative electrostatic charge on both the surface of the truck bed and the asphalt. This causes electrostatic repulsions preventing the asphalt from sticking to the surface of the truck bed.
- Prevents buildup of asphalt in truck beds.
- Completely biodegradable thus minimizes environmental concerns.
- Usually, three hauls can be made before another application is required.
- Can be safely used with all types of asphalt mixes.
- RELEASE 2000 is a water-based asphalt release agent that prevents all type of HMA (Hot Mix Asphalt) from adhering to haul beds, steel wheel rollers, pneumatic tire rollers and hand tools, and sample stands.
- Specifically formulated for polymer modified asphalts as well as conventional hot
- Reduces liability issues
- Bio-based product is easy to clean up. economical and 100% biodegradable.
- Concentrated formula that can be diluted at various levels to serve different needs
- Maximizes performance and minimizes environmental impacts.
- Has no Flash Point and is stable from 23°F – 145°F.
FHWA Hot Mix Asphalt Pavement Guidelines for Hauling Equipment (Section 402-3.03) States that when hauling HMA beds are to be lubricated with approved release agents. Asphalt Release Agents are not covered by AASHTO or ASTM directly, rather testing requirements and specifications are developed by various state agencies. However, the individual test methods may refer to established AASHTO and ASTM protocols.
Read about diesel-free products: why are they better?